Sunday 17 November 2013

A primary start to a secondary PGCE

Here is a reflection on primary school placement from one of the 2013-14 cohort of York University PGCE trainees.  At York, this placement begins the PGCE year.

My primary school, located in my hometown’s picturesque rural village, was the perfect start to an intense ITT year in York. Surrounded by a twelfth-century Church, grazing goats, and lively lambs, my school compelled a feeling of community and familiarity.  As I shook the hands of my previous Year 6 teacher and my former Year 4 teacher, I immediately felt at home – what a great first feeling before two weeks of little faces and very, very hard work!

For the benefit of my PGCE in secondary education, I was placed in the Year 6/5 group – a class amounting to thirty pupils. I was immediately impressed, albeit shocked, by their independence and ability to concentrate in their RRR time (Review, Reflect, Respond), History, and Maths. I deliberated whether this was a result of class mixing – a method increasingly employed in primary schools – or a result of the 6 ft 5” teacher dominating the classroom. As I reflected on Mr H’s excellent classroom management, as well as his positive relationship with each and every pupil, I came to the conclusion that it was both! I immediately perceived that the enthusiasm and encouragement projected throughout the classroom was the reason the children became engaged in learning. Mr H’s clear and instructive lesson plans and reassurance that each pupil would achieve something new that day, was the reason the children’s attention was retained. On the other hand…

…There was Class 4/3! As I had previously worked in a Year Six classroom for ten weeks, I decided some experience with younger students would add to my collection of experience in education – and didn’t it just! Within half a day I had been promoted from helper and observer to Teaching Assistant. Unlike the older pupils in the school, the children in lower Key Stage 2 were in desperate need of guidance and extra support. Personally, I have limited experience with SEN(D) pupils, so the demand placed on me by pupils working well below average and in need of constant attention was undoubtedly my greatest lesson from my primary school placement. I was asked to deliver a lesson to a sub-group in maths and guided reading, which were really rewarding experiences. The guided reading group in particular thoroughly enjoyed having the attention they would otherwise lack without additional classroom support – this taught me a great lesson about the value of extra support in a classroom. Mrs S had asked me to lead a reading discussion with the use of questions about their book; however, I realised their attention was wavering and their motivation was dire. Rather than dictate questions, I asked the pupils to question one another, using the cue cards I had been given. Every pupil immediately livened up, learned effectively, and smothered me with cuddles in excitement as they progressed as learners! The reading group taught me my greatest transferable skill; pupils of lower abilities respond positively when they feel responsible for their own learning.

Over the next week I had numerous flailing arms thrown around my legs as the pupils burst with pride at their achievements. I think it’s safe to say in those two weeks I received more cuddles than in all my twenty-two years on this planet – what an inspiring start!
 
Alex Barraclough, York PGCE Partnership 2013-14

No comments:

Post a Comment